This building was built in the early 1880s, and first used as a furniture store. From 1889 to 1891 it is thought to have housed the newspaper office and printing press of editor James Kibbee’s Independent, and from 1892 to 1894 it served as a boarding house. It is not known how the building was used or by whom during the period of 1894 – 1920, except that at some point it housed a saddle shop.
During the 1920’s it was Lincoln’s first and only movie house. In 1926, it was used by Dr. Earl Woods as his winery and later as his soap factory. From the 1930’s to the 1960’s it was owned by Mrs. Wright and again used as a rooming house. The building was acquired by the Lincoln County Heritage Trust in 1977, and ownership was later transferred to the Lincoln Historic Site. It is currently being used by the Lincoln County Historical Society.
The building was extensively remodeled in the late 1970’s and again recently. The original building was constructed of adobe.